Monday, April 3, 2023

Reflections for Holy Week--Monday

As we begin Holy Week, I want to offer you a devotional practice to help you draw close to God. They can be done individually or with a group. Each session will follow the same format. We begin with a short prayer, then a reading from God's Word. At the close of the reading I will leave you a question or two to think and pray about.

I hope this practice is helpful as you think about the suffering of Jesus on the cross. 

Opening Prayer:  
Come Lord Jesus Christ, fill our hearts with the light of your Spirit, so that by following you on your final journey, we may come to know the price of our Redemption and share in the fruits of your Passion, Death and Resurrection.  For the glory of  you who lives and reigns for ever and ever we pray. Amen.

Matthew 26:36-41
"Then Jesus came with them to a place called Gethsemane, and he said to his disciples, "Sit here while I go over there and pray." He took along Peter and the two sons of Zebedee, and began to feel sorrow and distress. Then he said to them, "My soul is sorrowful even to death. Remain here and keep watch with me." He advanced a little and fell prostrate in prayer, saying, "My Father, if it is possible, let this cup pass from me; yet, not as I will, but as you will." When he returned to his disciples he found them asleep. He said to Peter, "So you could not keep watch with me for one hour? Watch and pray that you may not undergo the test. The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak."

Sit in Silence for a moment and notice where your attention was drawn in this reading from Matthew 26. . . 

Reflection Question: 
Where in your life have you fallen asleep with Jesus asked you to remain with him? 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I Wonder--April 24

In the rush for productivity, we often rush too quickly. . . We rush to be effective and be thorough. But in doing so, we might just miss th...