Tuesday, March 15, 2022

Wonderings--March 15

I wonder how you handle it when life gives you the chance for a reboot--to put aside what you elevate and dwell with God? Do you embrace it or do you push it away? I wonder if that opportunity could help you as you live faithfully? 

Yesterday JonMark surprised us with a visit. He is here for a week as it is his spring break at Slippery Rock University. He has worked very hard this semester and has earned (in my view) some time to rest and enjoy his dog Luna. But his arrival forced me to reboot my day and plans.

Shortly after 9:30am his flight arrived in Charlotte. I circled the airport waiting for him to come down. Knowing it could take some time I had little expectation as to how long it could be. After my 6th time around the arrival area, I began to worry. Where was he?  

I called him. . . no answer. 

I texted him. . . silence. 

Did he make the flight? Where was he? During that lap around the airport, he finally called me. "I'm here," he said, "but there might be a problem." It turned out that his luggage did not arrive with him. It was delayed a whole day. He wasn't upset by this. On my lunch today he and I are going out to get his bag. 

But without his suitcase JonMark didn't have anything to wear besides the clothes on his back. That outfit, which was arranged because of snow and sleet in Pittsburgh, was unnecessary here in the warmth of South Carolina. We needed to stop and purchase some provisions for the day while we wait for his luggage to come to us. 

Following that trip my son, who missed us terribly, asked, "can I stop and surprise mom on lunch?" Of course, right! Jennifer cried when she saw him. Her heart was blessed and warmed by hugging her son whom she had not seen since December and they stood there in the parking lot for a long minute. 

No sooner did I get him home, then I had to leave for some physical therapy. 

That was how the rest of my day went. . . one appointment after another until dinner time. The entire schedule that I created, with many things that I needed to do, was a left aside. I had to reboot, and reorganize, my day. 

Now at first this was a bit annoying. Remember I did have a schedule to keep, but then I began to wonder if this reboot and reorganization was a blessing from God that could serve me? Perhaps God was telling me that I needed some time to 'be still' and rest with Him? Perhaps it was time to attend to the things that mattered the most--family, faith, and rest as a community? 

Maybe you have been in that place as well recently? Busy and frustrated because you are not accomplishing as much as you'd like. If so, perhaps remember my day and remember my first question? How do you handle a reboot from God? 

Blessings
Rev. Derek

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Wonder--April 24

In the rush for productivity, we often rush too quickly. . . We rush to be effective and be thorough. But in doing so, we might just miss th...