Thursday, March 24, 2022

Wonderings--March 24

After finishing my. morning time in God's word, I sat down in my favorite 'reading' chair and grabbed my book. Besides the few book that I am reading about psychology and the sleep, I have been working my way through a collection of writing from Thomas Merton. 

I enjoy reading Merton often. I find his words clear to my ear and yet challenging to my soul. Today's passage found me reading about the idea of contemplation and how we communicate with God. As I read his words, the words that I going to offer now, I paused. . .

Merton said: 

"The ever-changing reality in the midst of which we life, should awaken us to the possibility of an uninterrupted dialogue with God. By this I do not mean continuous 'talk,' or a frivolously conversational form of affective prayer which is sometimes cultivated in converts, but a dialogue of love and of choice. A dialogue of deep wills."

As Christians we have some familiarity with Paul's words to pray with out ceasing (I These. 5-17). We also know that the Sprit prays for us perpetually before God and that Jesus prayed for us to commune with God always in John 17. 

Perhaps you have heard of people like Brothers Lawrence whose book "Practicing the Presence of God" speaks to the church about talking with God always throughout the day. But do you actively practice, or at the very least try to practice, Merton's "dialogue of love and of choice" but welcoming God into your every-moment practices of life? 

I understand personally how hard this can be. As someone whose mind runs a million-miles-per-hour being still before God so that we can talk is hard. I find myself moving back and forth across books and topics one after another. 

Yet, like you, I wonder if we can find a way in our lives to speak to God uninterruptedly? What would that look like and how might you practice it? I wonder if it would be the help you might need today as you continue to strive for faithfulness in your day? 

Blessings
Rev. Derek

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Wonder--April 24

In the rush for productivity, we often rush too quickly. . . We rush to be effective and be thorough. But in doing so, we might just miss th...