Tuesday, August 23, 2022

Wonderings--August 23

As far back as my first D.Min. class I heard a familiar sentiment taking shape. My colleagues and classmates expressed it as did most of the instructors. And before I tell you what that sentiment is, let me say that none of them are wrong in their hopeful aspiration. Ministry is based on this idea in many ways and forms. Here is that sentiment: 

Things will be better in the future. 

I heard those words from so many people. But they would say it differently. . . "When I graduate I will be able to make a difference," one person said. Another told me, "This work will help me fix my church's struggles. I can finally put words to what's wrong." A few brave souls even said, "I will be a better Christian when I'm done." 

 Now don't get me wrong, I had a similar sentiment--a first--as I think most Christians would have. 

We possess this feeling that the future will be better. Even if we cannot articulate how the future will be better, we hope for it. We trust in it. Dr. Roger Owens assigned us the book: Turning to One Another: Simple Conversations to Restore Hope to the Future, and it helped reshape my mind. As I read the book, and am now re-reading it, I find the idea of a vague, better, future to be incorrect. 

Midway through the book the author offers us this idea:

"The future doesn't take form irrationally, even though it feels that way. The future comes from where we are now. It materializes from the actions, values, and beliefs we're practicing now. . . If we want a different future, we have to take responsibility for what we are doing in the present." 

While you could conclude that the author is speaking about social change only, she actually addresses how the church can be present and caring for its local community right now. She speaks about how that 'today's presence' will lead all of us together into a new, richer, presence with God.

Sure I can, and I do, worry about what will happen in the church and world in the next year(s). But rather than dwell on that, and let that concern dictate how I attempt to live faithfully with God, what if God asks me to make a small change in how I life today and speak with people today? Perhaps that small change could lead me into a new path that invites creativity and is based on hope and it could also reshape our future? 

Notice where you are now, who God is putting before you today, and let that revelation shape how you live out your faith. 

Blessings

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Wonder--April 30

I have spent a lot of time collating, editing, and managing my social media and news feeds on my iPhone. This process has take quite a while...